Proper Planning Requires A Good Balancing Act
Using this holistic approach, for example, we will address general estate planning issues and will counsel clients about planning for incapacity with alternative decision-making documents. We will also assist clients in planning for possible long-term care needs, including nursing home care. Locating the appropriate type of care, coordinating private and public resources to finance the cost of care, and working to ensure the client’s right to quality care are all part of our Elder Law practice.
Legal problems that affect the elderly are growing in number. Our laws and regulations are becoming more complex. Actions taken by older people with regard to a single matter may have unintended legal effects. As attornies dealing with the elderly, we have a broad understanding of the laws that may have an impact on a given situation, to avoid future problems.
Our Elder Law practice encompasses many different fields of law. Some of these include:
- Preservation/transfer of assets seeking to avoid spousal impoverishment when a spouse enters a nursing home.
- Conservatorships and guardianships.
- Estate planning, including planning for the management of one’s estate during life and its disposition on death through the use of trusts, wills and other planning documents.
- Probate Law and Estate Administration.
- Administration and management of trusts.
- Our focus is to fully inform his clients in all of these areas of the law and make them confident and comfortable when dealing with elder law issues and concerns.
More Information on Elder Law from Askin & Hooker:
Changes to New Jersey Medicaid
There are newly enacted changes to New Jersey’s Medicaid program, specifically with regard to the income cap. New Jersey’s Medically Needy program will be terminated. Anyone currently in the Medically Needy program will remain unaffected by the changes but if they...
Prepaid Funeral Arrangements
The death of a loved one is often a devastating experience, complicated by the many arrangements that must be made. With all the considerations, many people find themselves unable to grieve until after all the funeral arrangements have been finalized. Given the tumult...
New Jersey’s Home Based Medicaid Options
Although New Jersey Medicaid covers long term care in non-nursing home settings under what is now known as the Global Options program, it is very difficult to qualify and even if you can meet the requirements, more times than not these programs don’t cover everything...
New Medicaid and VA Figures for 2014
Many of the programs that, as elder law attorneys, we deal with daily, such as Medicaid and VA Aid and Attendance, are adjusted annually to account for changes in the cost of living, ie. inflation. The Social Security Administration announced that Social Security...